Wednesday, February 08, 2006

everyday miracles

A number of years ago I was reading "Supermundane" by Helena Roerich. The book described the Brotherhood that dwelt in the mysterious Shambala. I was very affected by the discussion of how these advanced souls work to help humanity, who, for the most part, remain unaware of their efforts. She wrote that we need only reach out and open our hearts, and when it's a worthy cause there is always help.

Now, I'm naturally a skeptic. However I do believe in supreme forces guiding us along the path - whether we call them Gods, Brotherhood or any other name. But it is one thing to logically arrive at that conclusion, it is another to experience it.

In those days I was short on money. I had missed two years of university, for various personal reasons, and therefore lost my scholarship. July came, and I was supposed to call my university to let them know if I am returning. This was my last chance to get back in the program.

I felt I have done everything I could to go back. I studied, I held a job and I had a strong desire to continue my education. But the finances just weren't adding up. University was not happening.

One day I was left alone in a friend's empty house with nothing to do for hours. I lay on the couch and contemplated my misfortune. I felt like I was up against a stone wall and there was nothing I could do about it. I was quite depressed, to say the least.

And that's when I remembered the book.

Not being religious and not knowing any specific prayers, I just closed my eyes and mentally spoke into the void. I clearly envisioned that there were helpers out there somewhere, and that they were listening. Quite matter-of-factly I stated to them: "Please help me. I've done all I can. You can read me and you know that I really want to study. But I can't afford it. I don't know what to do. It is up to you now. Anyway you choose, I will accept it."

I felt better after that, because I truly believed that the choice wasn't mine anymore. Mine was already made -- the rest was up to the universe.

The following morning I called the admissions officer to notify that I wasn't coming back. I only got a chance to say my name. Before I uttered another word, the lady on the other end proclaimed: "I was just going to call you. I came across your file this morning, and have decided to reinstate your scholarship!"

I was completely speechless. That was as clear an answer as a universe can give! Not only could I pay tuition, but the scholarship was enough to cover all the books, and still have some left over!

Coincidence? I don't think so.

I remember jumping around screaming "thank you" into the void. For it was pretty clear that someone intervened and cleared my path.

The lesson I took from that is that if you want something, your job is to do all you can towards that goal. At that point your conscience will be clear. And then, just ask - if that something is meant to be, the universe, or its representatives, will step in and help you.

And if they do nothing - you probably still have some work to do, or you are treading the wrong path…

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been jumping around reading your posts on spirituality. It sounds like you are very open to whatever the truth is, but you are not easily fooled by the trappings of the "spiritual organizations" you come across (the yoga thing).
Keep up the good work. I believe if you are honest with yourself, and it sounds like you are, you will find what is right for you. It appears that you believe that there is "someone" out there who not only hears us, but responds to us. I do too.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home