Thursday, February 23, 2006

bulls and cows

I found myself involved in a weirdest argument. It was with a person who was convinced that bulls and cows are different species. That there are female bulls and male cows out there (I’m still getting over milking the male cow concept.)

This being a big city (Toronto) and us being in a mall, we decided to settle our differences by questioning unbiased strangers. To my shock and awe, my opponent was winning! The number of confused salespeople leaning towards his side of the argument almost made me doubt myself.

Could it be that while living in the confines of the modern urban life, I lost touch with nature, and it changed without sending me a notice? Maybe there is a male cow out there nowadays? And maybe there is a female bull watching nervously from the sidelines, as her husband takes on one matador after another?

Luckily there is Wikipedia. With respect to cattle: “An intact male is called a bull. An adult female over two years of age (approximately) is called a cow.”

So for all ya city dwellers out there, a bull is a male cattle. It can never be a female. Nor can cow be a guy. It’s female by definition. And it needs a bull to have kids. Who will grow into bulls and cows, dah…

Boy, I surely hope the education minister reads this one. Or soon we’ll be debating muffin harvesting.

4 Comments:

Blogger golfwidow said...

He was trying to "steer" you wrong.

I'm sorry. It's early and I haven't had nearly enough caffeine yet.

Bull.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

It's amazing what people will believe. Write it down and it must be true.

Thanks for the laugh.

Take Care
Michael

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes my brain hurt.

Not the birds and the bess aspect of bovines — that's fundamental knowledge where I'm from.

It makes my head hurt to imagine that someone might actually believe that bulls and cows were not the same species.

I can see it happening in the U.S. as well. Sad....

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are people who think that HUMAN males and HUMAN females are different species. Compared to that, male cows and female bulls should not be much of a surprise.

Or as they say on the simpsons, "a lady goat is a sheep!"

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home