Thursday, March 30, 2006

children's past lives

A few years back I read an intriguing book by Carol Bowman, called Children’s Past Lives. It is an account of kids who spontaneously recollect how they used to be soldiers, mothers, painters. She gives plenty of case studies that are eerily convincing.

I remember back then wondering whether my future kid would tell me something too. I wondered if he’d say he was a great saint, a great scientist, or a great artist. I wasn’t clear on specifics. But I knew he was great.

Well, now I have one. And he doesn’t speak yet. So I guess I’ll have to be patient just a little longer.

The other night, however, he crawled onto my chest and made a distinctive growling sound, accompanied by teeth baring and intermittent biting.


I think he was trying to tell me he was a sabretooth tiger. I’m sure he was a great one.

5 Comments:

Blogger Alexys Fairfield said...

It's absolutely true. As Soul, some of our experiences carry over into our present life. How else can you explain any prodigy like Mozart who composed an symphony at age 5 or the myriad of other people who have knowldge about something with no "formal" training. It is fascinating and the implications are tremendous.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Kerri Anne said...

I hope I was something neat. Like an inventor, or an editor of a dictionary.

6:22 AM  
Blogger vasilisa said...

Alexys, I do find it absolutely fascinating. I can't wait for him to talk.

Kerri, what about the inventor of the dictionary? :-)

3:01 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

I'm sure he'll have a story to tell you shortly. But you must get him to do a picture or something, because he'll forget all about it.

-Bruce

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when my now 15 y.o. was about 4- we went to Graceland (as in Elvis). we were only inside the home a few minutes before he looked around and said 'I've been here before, you know'. we pretty much beleived him...

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home