Saturday, April 08, 2006

the wonders of modern technology

My dear old DVD player has decided to call it quits. No smoke, nor fire, no funny error messages. It just went blank. Precisely on the day that my library finally delivered the movie I’ve been waiting for for two months.

Naturally, I immediately set out to purchase a new DVD. Happy, happy, joy, joy! Now I could get all the important fancy features I’ve always wanted!

Unlike normal people, who look for reliability first, my most important criteria is that it plays obscure file formats (of which I have an alarming collection on my computer). And that it plays all regions, because I’m a very international girl.

So, after lots of asking and running around, the winner was found and brought home.

Oh, the stress of the testing stage:

A foreign DVD of unidentified origin – check.
A disc with self-burned obscure file formats – check.
Some sort of mp3 musical compilation – check.

There was just one thing it couldn’t handle. A REGULAR, NORMAL, STORE-BOUGHT COPY OF FORREST GUMP!

I guess, given all the USB connections, file types, and regional accessibility the manufacturers took into account, they were bound to forget something. Like the fact that sometimes people still want to watch a good old mainstream DVD!

Go figure.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alexys Fairfield said...

Isn't that typical? I think we are all victims of technology. We inadvertently become dependant on them to supposedly facilitate our lives and they leave us dissatisfied and frustrated to say the least.

I think the deveoplers are so enthralled at what they can develop that they fail to think of their customer at times. Sometimes we just want it to do what it promises.

Good luck watching your film.

2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny! Sounds exactly like something that would happen to me.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My boyfriend decided that we had to have a detachable remote control thermostat. It was lost on day 3 and it's permanently heating my house to 73 degrees. There are days that I hate technology.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home